Marrying a foreigner in Spain

Spain is a country in which several different cultures coexist, so that the mixed relationships are common, that is to say, where a Spanish citizen weds a foreign citizen.

Before a mixed marriage can be performed it is necessary to submit a marriage file. This file is intended to prevent potential “convenience” marriages. Here at blarlo, we want to make sure you understand all of the requirements so that this process is as smooth as possible allowing you to focus on the more beautiful aspects of the wedding like planning your honeymoon.

What documents do I need to submit?

Spanish citizen:

  • Official full birth certificate issued less than three months prior to the date of the wedding.
  • Affidavit of civil status. In cases where you have previously been divorced, you must also submit the official marriage certificate alongside the divorce registration document.
  • Photocopy of photographic ID and / or passport.
  • Formal request for civil marriage celebration duly completed and signed.
  • Census certificate from the last two years. Caution this expires after 3 months.

Foreign Citizen:

  • Official full birth certificate. In addition to the above, non-EU citizens must present these documents legalized (authenticated) by their Consulate and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Affidavit of civil status. If you have previously been divorced, you must enclose an official marriage certificate issued by your country of origin.
  • Certified photocopy of the NIE (Foreign Resident Identification Number), passport or identity card.
  • Formal request for civil marriage celebration duly completed and signed.
  • A proof of residence, which may be a census certificate from the last two years or since entering the country.
  • Minors under the age of 25 must also submit an accreditation certificate stating that they are of legal age in their country of origin.
  • When the documents are handed over, the couple must be accompanied by two witnesses (friends or relatives) and present their valid ID or passport to attest to their marital status, their status as an arms-length relationship and their domicile for the last two years. These witnesses do not need to be the same witnesses as you intend to have on the day of the ceremony.

All documentation must be submitted translated by a sworn translator in cases where the language of origin of the foreign spouse is not Spanish. Foreign documentation must be duly legalized and certified. In addition to this, if one of the individuals in the couple does not understand Spanish, it will be necessary to go to a sworn interpreter.

If you require a sworn translator from blarlo we can help you as we handle this type of query every day. You just have to contact us and explain your situation.

Are you getting married in the coming months? Tell us your story!

Spread the love

This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)

There is no comment on this post. Be the first one.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.