We are celebrating because the 30th September, International Translation Day, is now very near.
On this occasion, this article is dedicated to all our collaborators that are the bridge between languages and cultures, and who work with us every day to achieve that.
This celebration has no other purpose than that of acknowledging the invisible task of translators, in the shade but so necessary to achieve understanding among countries that, although being neighbors, speak languages that are so different that, without knowing them, they are very difficult to understand.
Why on 30th September?
The celebration takes place each year on 30th September since it was created in 1953 by the IFT (International Federation of Translators) in order to give homage to the theologian and linguist Jerom of Stridon (340-420 AD), Bible translator and patron of translators, by commemorating his death. Saint Jerome took 27 years to translate the Bible (Old and New Testament) from Greek and Hebrew to Vulgar Latin (Vulgata Latina),common language of the Roman Empire, commissioned by Pope Damasus and together with three assistants. The task was so arduous that he nearly abandoned it on several occasions due to fatigue, burden, lack of resources, and persecution by Roman authorities. Therefore, he became an example for the translating community.
On 24th May 2017, the United Nations Organization declared 30th September as the International Translation Day:
Also welcoming the cooperation of the General Secretary with
the network of universities that have signed memorandums of understanding with the
United Nations about the training of the applicants to tenders for
linguists and recognizing the role of this cooperation for attracting
talent to the language services of the United Nations,
- Declares that the role of professional translation, as a skill and as
art, is important to defend the purposes and principles of the United Nations
Charter, bringing nations together, facilitating dialogue, understanding and
cooperation, contributing to development and strengthening worldwide peace and security;
- Decides to declare 30th September as International Translation Day.
This year different activities have been organized to commemorate this day, below, we recompile some of these so the information is available for you:
- Valencia (Tyris on Tap), 29th September at 8:00 pm.
- Madrid (La Central de Callao), 30th September 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- Tarazona (Casa del Traductor), 30th September 2017 at 11:00 am.
- Barcelona (librería Alibri), 30th September 2017 at 12:00 midday.
- Barcelona (Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Translation Slam), 30th September 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- Barcelona (APTIC headquarters), 30th September 2017 at 6:00 pm.
- Salamanca (librería Letras Corsarias), September 30th 2017 at 7:00 pm.
- London (The British Library), 2nd October 2017 at 9:00 am.
- Edinburgh (Heriot-Watt University), 4th October 2017 at 5:30 pm.
- Paris (Centre Paris Anim’ Tour-des-Dames), 29th September 2017 at 4:30 pm.
- Figeac, 30th September 2017 all day.
- Clermont-Ferrand (Médiathèque de Jaude), 30th September 2017 at 2:00 pm.
- Nice (Forum Jorge François), 30th September 2017 at 10:00 am.
- Montpelier (Université Paul-Valéry – Montpellier 3), 30th September 2017.
- Angers (Université Catholique de l’Ouest, Bâtiment René-Bazin), 30th September 2017 at 9:00 am.
- Tourouvre-au-Perche, 30th September 2017 at 9:30 am.
- Mexico City (Zocalo Central and Histórico Central hotels, as well as the Antiguo Colegio de San Ildefonso), 28-30th September 2017.
- New York (United Nations Headquarters), different activities throughout the month.
- Phoenix (Maricopa Integrated Health System), 30th September 2017 at 7:30 am.
- Ottawa (University of Ottawa), 28th September 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- Montreal (Houston Bar & Grill), 28th September 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- Quebec (Café Cosmos), 29th September 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- Sherbrooke (Espace culturel de Magog), 13th October 2017 at 5:00 pm.
- Santo Domingo, D. N., (Suprema Corte de Justica, Procuraduría General de la República y Hotel Catalonia), 29-30th September 2017. You may call (809) 477-2622 o al (809) 221-6920.
- Rabat (Translation Center, of Documentation and Edition of the Institut Royal de la Culture Amazighe), 27th September 2017, at 3:00 pm.
INITIATIVES ON INTERNET AND INFORMATION MATERIALS
- “Discover the translator”, a challenge that invites Twitter users to discover the identity of 5 translators (an initiative by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports).
- Video “Invisible Authors: International Translation Day” (campaign by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports).
- The importance of Translation, by Basheer Zendal in TEDxSanaa.
- The hidden secrets of translation, by Nadia Garcia in TEDxYouth@Gijon.
- A day in the life of an interpreter/translator.
- Interpreters, 1968.
- The translator of languages (Helen Marsch).
If any initiative is missing, feel free to contact us and share it so we add it to the list!
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)